Sunday, May 10, 2009

Chapter 2

Savannah dried her face and crept downstairs to make her favorite hangover food, Mac-N-Cheese. She cooked the noodles, mixed in the cheese, and dumped it in a bowl. Moving slowly so as to not upset her weak stomach, she took her seat on the couch, and flipped on the television.

She never had the patience for channel surfing, so she quickly settled on your standard Saturday morning cartoons. While mulling over the macaroni, she tried to remember last night's
sequence of events. Now that the alcohol was gone she could see things a little more clearly. She remembered Thomas. His friendly smile, his inviting eyes. God, he was gorgeous! She tried to remember anything she could from their conversation, but nothing came to mind. She did, however, remember how good it felt for him to be so close to her. His body pressed against hers, his hot breath beating down her neck, and how his hands fit all over her body. But other than the physical, she felt drawn to him. She really liked him. She was so ready for a relationship. She wanted so badly to have someone to give her love to, some sort of outlet. She was ready to settle down, she had sowed her wild oats! Savannah couldn't help but smile to herself. There was
definitely a lot of sowing going on last night, she thought to herself. Oh well, her mother is probably right. How do you expect them to buy the whole cow when they can get the milk for free!
The telephone interrupted her train of thought, and she quickly got up and answered on the last ring.
"Hello?"
"Hey Hun, its mom."
"Hey momma, how are you? How's daddy?"
"Oh, I'm fine.And daddy is good too. He is busy yelling at baseball reruns. How is my baby? Gone on any dates lately?"
"Is that the reason you called? Why are you so concerned with my love life?"
"Now, there is no need to get defensive. I just worry about you, that's all. You're in that big city all alone, and you work so hard. I just think it would be nice if you found someone."
"Mom, I am not all alone. I have friends! And I don't need a boyfriend, I am fine."
"Sweetie, you know you're not getting any younger. Maybe if you just..."
"MOM! Just stop already! Look, if it makes you feel any better, I sort of went out with a guy last night."
"Oh really?"
"Yeah, but there isn't much to tell. I don't think I will be hearing from him again."
"Savannah Paige! You can't just go on one date with the guy and decide he isn't the one for you. You have to at least put a little effort into it."
"Yes, actually, I can just go on one date with him. Besides he wasn't my type. Look mom, I gotta go, I have some laundry to do."
"OK, pumpkin, well I love you. I miss you sweetie."
"Yeah. Love you too. Bye."


Savannah sat back down on the sofa and tried to shake the icky feeling that always followed that conversation with her mother. It seemed as if her mother
had been more persistent these days. Maybe if I just start agreeing with everything she says, she will lose momentum because she can't argue with me,
she thought to herself.

Just as she was settling back into her Saturday morning groove, the doorbell rang.
"The world can just go fuck itself!" She mumbled and she got up to answer the door. She opened the door to find an annoyingly perky Jane standing in front
of her.
"Hey", Jane invited herself in, and went straight to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water.
Savannah followed her into the kitchen,
"What's up?"
"What's up?! You're the one who left last night with a guy! You tell me what's up!"
Savannah blushed a little and then looked up to answer, "Can we not talk about this, please?"
"Oh come on! You don't honestly expect me to accept that as an answer do you? Give me something more to chew on!"
Realizing that Jane was just never going to leave this alone, she decided it was best to go ahead and give her the story. She blew out a breath trying to think of what to say and finally she spoke.
"Well, we came back here and...."
"OMIGOD! You slept with him?" Jane squealed. "Tell me everything!"
"There is nothing to tell. We slept together, and when I woke up this morning he was gone."
"Well, did you get his phone number or something?"
"Yeah, he left a note on my dresser."
"OK, good! So you'll call him."
"No! Jane, don't you think if he really wanted to see me again, he would have stuck around this morning? I am not calling him! I am just going to try and forget it ever happened."
"You're serious?
"Yes, I am serious. So lets just drop it."
"OK...soooo, do you wanna go get something to eat?"
"Actually, yes, I would love to. Let me just go change."

The girls decided to walk since the restaurant was not that far from Savannah's apartment. When they arrived, they took their seats at a tabled facing the window. They chatted and giggled, and the waiter came up and interrupted the conversation. "Hello ladies, what can I get you to drink?"
"I will just have water, and a bloody mary please", Savannah responded without even thinking about it. Jane looked across the table at the body that once held her friend. Confused, she asked, "Are you serious?"
"Yeah. Fight fire with fire."
"OK. Well in that case, I will have the same."
The waiter smiled while writing down the orders and repeated,
"OK, so some fire for the lovely ladies," his eyes flicked towards Savannah.
The waiter turned and retreated towards the bar to fill their orders.

"Omigod! It hasn't even been twenty four hours and you already have another guy snapping at your heels! I envy you."
"Do you think I should go for it?"
"Of course!! But what about Thomas?"
"No, I am not thinking about him. I am moving on."
"Well, in that case..."

The waiter returned with their drinks and took their orders. Soon after he brought out their food. They talked as they ate, and before they knew it the waiter was cleaning off the table. After he walked away with their dirty plates, Savannah dug a pen out of her purse. She took and unused napkin and scribbled down her name and telephone number. Savannah got up from the table and walked over to the bar where the waiter was standing.
"Hi, my name is Savannah. What's yours?"
Surprised he answered, "Lucas. But I go by Luke."
"Well, Luke, I hope that you will call me sometime." And Savannah slipped the folded napkin into his hand. Without saying anything else she turned and
walked away.

"Omigod! Who are you and what have you done with Savannah?"
"I just thought it was time I stepped up my game. Do you think I was too forward?"
"NO! His jaw is still on the floor!"
"I hope he calls."
"If he doesn't we can just come back here and stalk him."
"Oh Jane!" Savannah rolled her eyes, and continued down the sidewalk with Jane, extremely please with her new found confidence.

3 comments:

  1. Kind of a boring chapter, but necessary to the storyline. Hope everyone enjoys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooo, love triangle. And so the plot thickens... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh....I would have done the same though! I figure if he would have wanted to chat he would have stuck around and chatted! LOL!!

    Should be interesting to see what happens to Savannah next! :D

    ReplyDelete